Pow Pow Wings brings the heat to Vancouver
New chicken wing resturaunt plans to add a kick to the local culinary scene
Pow Pow Wings, a new restaurant on Fourth Plain in Vancouver, has plans to spice up the local culinary selection with its wide variety of buffalo wing offerings. Also carrying a selection of other dishes, beers and spirits, Pow Pow Wings intends to draw a crowd.
Pow Pow Wings was opened in December by first-time restaurant owner Phoukeo Thilavanah, or as his friends call him, "P.T." The restaurant currently staffs three cooks and three servers, including the owner's niece, Souni Thilavanah.
With finger lickin' good food and friendly service that is attentive to the customer's needs, Pow Pow Wings shouldn't have trouble finding such success.
I ordered a batch of wings, sampling dishes of all 10 of their sauces, as well as their three dry rub wing seasonings. Among the sauces were traditional flavors such as BBQ, Honey BBQ and Buffalo Sauce. Other kicked variants of the wing sauce included spicy Thai Peanut, Risky Raspberry Chipotle, Sweet Teriyaki and Pineapple Punch. But where Pow Pow Wings one-ups its competitors is in its hottest sauces: The Gentle Burn, Twisted Tepper and the hottest sauce available, Super Pow.
Each of the specialty sauces has a unique flavor dynamic. The Gentle Burn starts off with a sweet and spicy twist that gradually gets hotter, becoming a pepper inspired burn.
The Twisted Tepper, named after Thilavanah's friend who helped create the concoction, has a bold and burning taste created by the multitude of peppers used in creating the sauce.
Lastly, there's the hottest item on the menu, and also one of their best sellers, the Super Pow. Super Pow is made with a variety of red hot chili peppers that create nothing less than an inferno on the palate. But the thing that makes the Super Pow truly unique is the use of the ghost pepper in the sauce. The ghost pepper is considered one of the hottest peppers on the planet. It's even ground up, put in hand grenades, and used as a non- lethal riot control device in India.
The three dry rub seasonings are Pepper Salted, Cajun Garlic and Lemon Pepper. The seasonings contain less punch than the sauces, but complement the wings nicely, adding a different dimension of flavor to the wing experience. All of the sauces and dry rubs are created between a collaboration of Thilavanah and a group of his friends.
Wings are available in both boneless and traditional, starting out at $5.20 for a basket of six traditional wings, and going up to $20 for 32 wings. In addition to wings, the restaurant offers burgers, salad wraps and appetizers.
A Happy Hour menu is available with a broad selection of discounted items. Happy hour is every day from 3- 6 p.m. and all day on Sundays.
Pow Pow Wings is located just two miles from Clark at 5930 N.E. Fourth Plain Blvd. Its operating hours are 11 a.m.- 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon-9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Independent News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE INDEPENDENT NEWS
RECENT THE INDEPENDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR